Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
BOSS302BASS

Re: Classic Build #1 The whole bass and nothing but.....

Post by BOSS302BASS » 09 Jan 2019, 03:51

Well, well, well Ivan. I never got to see the finished beast in person. Looks wild! Where is the clip? Would love to hear it!

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 09 Jan 2019, 21:50

BOSS302BASS wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 03:51
Well, well, well Ivan. I never got to see the finished beast in person. Looks wild! Where is the clip? Would love to hear it!
Hey Drew.....good to hear from you!!!

Are you back in the country or still OS? Either way, hope things are going well for you.

Here's the clip. It was posted somewhere else on the forum, NBD I think?

IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

basshack

Post by basshack » 09 Jan 2019, 22:05

Still think you did an amazing job on this one Ivan. I know it took you a fair while, even for your first, but the attention you gave it paid off in spades.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 10 Jan 2019, 15:25

basshack wrote:
09 Jan 2019, 22:05
Still think you did an amazing job on this one Ivan. I know it took you a fair while, even for your first, but the attention you gave it paid off in spades.
Thanks Blaine, funny thing is.....I thought it would stop me lusting over other basses, but guess what.....it hasn't :eyebrow:
Ahhh it's a never ending quest. But I have been good, no new purchases since the mandolin :rollno:
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Jan 2019, 22:26

When I can build to the quality David does then maybe I'll stop looking at other basses but at least building my own has curtailed the funds available to splurge on other exotic basses. I know I'll never buy a Fender again.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jan 2019, 13:24

Absolutely amazing job there, Ivan.

And interesting comments re: still looking at other basses despite building “your bass”. I have completely stopped looking at anything commercial (be it mass market or “boutique”) even though none of my builds are anywhere near flawless - but they work really well for what I want to do. Of course I’ve never been a flipper in the first place.

Looking forward to your next one!!!

Regards,
Michael
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)
- Genzler Magellan 800, 2 Genzler BA12-3

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jan 2019, 14:25

drbass wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 13:24

And interesting comments re: still looking at other basses despite building “your bass”. I have completely stopped looking at anything commercial (be it mass market or “boutique”) even though none of my builds are anywhere near flawless - but they work really well for what I want to do. Of course I’ve never been a flipper in the first place.

Looking forward to your next one!!!

Regards,
Michael
It's definitely not that I need anything more Michael. I think I've just always enjoyed trying different instruments, and identifying what I like in them. Classic #001 for me really encapsulates all that I've personally liked in different instruments that I've played in the past but couldn't find all wrapped up in one..........well, not at an affordable price anyway. That now creates a dilemma in regards to another build. I'm really just building for myself, so what else do I really need???? Maybe a 6 string electric guitar next time (not a bass) :shrug:

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jan 2019, 14:32

Fretless, short scale, multi scale, neck-through, ... . :)
- Merlin Rockmachine 5, Merlin NT5, Manta 5, Manta 5 YOLO, ("Red Baron" 5), Q 5, (Sandberg Classic S2-5), (Thumb-4)

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jan 2019, 14:47

drbass wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 14:32
Fretless, short scale, multi scale, ... . :)
Honestly, I have a hard enough time getting around a standard scale fretted 4. Once I start throwing in other variables....ie Fretless, different scale length etc it just seems to impact my playing in a negative way. It's taken me a very long time but I've finally come to the realisation that standard scale 4 string bass is the right thing for me. (That's not saying that I won't change my mind tomorrow). I'd like to spend more time playing music rather than fighting with the instrument. I'd like to be able to play the bass with my eyes closed. Not having to deal with intonation on a fretless or note spacing on a different scale bass. Getting very introspective now......I guess it's just that kind of day.

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 11 Jan 2019, 17:37

Classic5 wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 14:47
drbass wrote:
Honestly, I have a hard enough time getting around a standard scale fretted 4. Once I start throwing in other variables....ie Fretless, different scale length etc it just seems to impact my playing in a negative way. It's taken me a very long time but I've finally come to the realisation that standard scale 4 string bass is the right thing for me. (That's not saying that I won't change my mind tomorrow). I'd like to spend more time playing music rather than fighting with the instrument. I'd like to be able to play the bass with my eyes closed. Not having to deal with intonation on a fretless or note spacing on a different scale bass. Getting very introspective now......I guess it's just that kind of day.
That all makes perfect sense to me Ivan. That is why I stick with 34" scale basses. Sure I can play multi scale or short scale etc but I find it comes at a cost. I just have to put that bit more effort in and they equates to less creativity in my playing so.. For example; The Rob Allen Mouse fretless that Owen now owns was mine for a while before he bought it. It is a fantastic instrument but I found that I really had concentrate on getting the intonation spot on and that impacted my performance. I would really like to get a multi scale 5er but I wonder how seamlessly I could play that in a band situation after playing my 34" scale 4's and 5's..

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jan 2019, 18:36

NotTheFish wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 17:37
That all makes perfect sense to me Ivan. That is why I stick with 34" scale basses. Sure I can play multi scale or short scale etc but I find it comes at a cost. I just have to put that bit more effort in and they equates to less creativity in my playing so.. For example; The Rob Allen Mouse fretless that Owen now owns was mine for a while before he bought it. It is a fantastic instrument but I found that I really had concentrate on getting the intonation spot on and that impacted my performance. I would really like to get a multi scale 5er but I wonder how seamlessly I could play that in a band situation after playing my 34" scale 4's and 5's..
You'd be fine on a multi scale 5 Jeremy, but IMO you'd have to stop playing your other basses and just dedicate yourself to it, to get the most out of it. Most of us here have limited time to play music at the best of times so you can't just be moving from 34" 4 string, to fretless 35" scale and then to say a multiscsle 6 and expect to play to your best ability. Each takes time to get used to and most of us just don't have that time. I so much wanted to buy a Dingwall NG3 recently but seriously, everthing I want to play can be done on a 4. That's just my observations about myself, and obviously everyone is different. I'm sticking to the 4 string this year and just want to broaden my playing repertoire. I enjoy figuring out bass lines and find it a great way to relax.

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 11 Jan 2019, 20:38

Really good review. Thanks for that.
Great work on that build, it’s beautiful.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

drbass

Post by drbass » 11 Jan 2019, 22:10

Classic5 wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 14:47
drbass wrote:
I was talking about building, not playing, Ivan ;) .

Anyway, point taken, and my only response would be: when will we see the move from “classic5” to “classic4”? ;) :D .

Regards,
Michael

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 11 Jan 2019, 22:31

drbass wrote:
11 Jan 2019, 22:10

I was talking about building, not playing, Ivan ;) .

Regards,
Michael
I guess the point in all this is that I've got to build something that I'm going to play. So at this stage I'm just not sure what that will be.