DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
LimeB

Re: DIY Speaker cab and experiment.

Post by LimeB » 03 Mar 2010, 00:17

Is extra labour, cost or other issues the reason big companies are not doing this already?

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Mar 2010, 05:45

Aussie Mark wrote:Pete, do you have a feel for the materials cost of the composite cab compared to the ply cab?
Not yet, but it will be considerably more for the composite cab of course.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Mar 2010, 05:48

LimeB wrote:Is extra labour, cost or other issues the reason big companies are not doing this already?
Partly materials, but mostly labour. Look at the price difference between a Ritter and a standard MIA Fender. It's a similar thing. These are not the sort of cabs that can be mass produced on a production line in the same way that robots can spit out plywood rectangles. The construction is very labour intensive and therefore costly, so you're not likely to see anyone making these commercially any time soon, not profitably anyway. I'm not accounting for my time on this project so the figures shouldn't be too horrendous for me.
Last edited by Petebass on 08 Sep 2010, 11:17, edited 2 times in total.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

thebman

Post by thebman » 03 Mar 2010, 09:06

What will you be using for your Composite Sandwich Core?
Fiberglass or Carbon Fibre, And could a composite core be made using aluminium instead?
So you'd have your foam core sandwiched between thin sheets of aluminium.
I'd have thought a fiberglass Cab would be to fragile for a gigging muso?
a generous man devises generous things
and by generosity he shall stand.

Basses: Jazz Basses, always room for more.
Amps: Markbass
Cabs: Got One :-)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 03 Mar 2010, 09:43

All good questions.

Q- What will you be using for your Composite Sandwich Core?
A- XPS. Extruded Polystyrene. Yes there are other foams out there which are more commonly used as fiberglass coring, fancy honeycombes etc, but when you factor in the massive price jump for only marginal increases in strength, they’re not worth using for projects like these. Admittedly Zac was able to walk into America’s version of Bunnings and buy his XPS for next to nothing, and my Australian experience so far hasn’t been as simple as that, but I’ve managed to get a hold of some and I’m on the lookout for more thickness options.

Q- Fiberglass or Carbon Fibre?
A- Carbon Fiber looks cool and is definitely stronger, but it’s also 10 times the price of a good woven fiberglass. $9/sq.m verses $89 per sq.m. I’ll be using Glass for this project and covering it with carpet for protection. I do have a friend of mine currently making two carbon fiber version of one of older designs (the 1x12 I bought to the Sydney GTG) , but he’s a multi-millionaire with friends in the CF industry.

Q- And could a composite core be made using aluminum instead? So you'd have your foam core sandwiched between thin sheets of aluminum?
A- Aluminum has not come up at all in my research as a possible core or skin for sandwich construction. It’s not something the fiberglass professionals use at all. I imagine problem with aluminum is adhesion and weight.

With a sandwich of fiberglass/foam/fiberglass, the glass bonds on a molecular level with the foam. As you place pressure on the inner skin of glass, the distance between the skins means the outer skin has to move considerably further than the inner skin in order for the panel to bend. The physics is similar to how an I-Beam works. The greater the distance, between skins, the stronger the panel is. But the skins have to be firmly bonded to the core for this to work or the physics falls apart if both skins can move freely and independently of each other and the core.

Besides, Aluminum is light for a metal but it’s still considerably heavier than foam.

Q- I'd have thought a fiberglass Cab would be to fragile for a gigging muso?
A- Zac has confirmed he can stand on his cabs and jump up and down without breaking them. He has also been gigging his extensively and hasn’t managed to break them yet. He has noted that when you accidentally bump a lighter cab when, for example, walking through a doorway, the “Hit” is nowhere near as hard as with a heavier cab due to the reduced mass, it's therefore harder to damage either the doorway or the cab. But he flatly refuses to throw his down the stairs to see if it survives :)
Last edited by Petebass on 03 Mar 2010, 10:49, edited 1 time in total.

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 03 Mar 2010, 10:30

A metal core could cause some sort of issues. Maybe? I don't know much as you may about these things as surmise.

I you like I will post you up plastic jack plates for them. Just pm me your adress and how many. Each has space for 4 phono jacks ( not cannon or speakon) .

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 03 Mar 2010, 10:35

Also, don't over look recovery/ recycle yards for materials, amazing what shows upo from our local tip.

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 03 Mar 2010, 11:08

'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

thebman

Post by thebman » 07 Mar 2010, 20:52

Itching for an update:)

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 07 Mar 2010, 20:57

Sorry nothing to report. A combination of things have kept me away from any "speakering" this week - lots of gigs, bad weather, the flu. And my next lot of spare time will be spent doing some more running repairs on my working bass rig because the roadies have managed to inflict more damage this week ..ggrrrrrr.

lespaulmarshall

Post by lespaulmarshall » 07 Mar 2010, 22:32

This is an awesome thread, lots of text is good!

And Pete - that avatar of yours is seriously amazing, that tiger is HUGE!
I stand up next to a mountain,
And I chop it down with the edge of my hand...

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 11 Mar 2010, 13:46

Ok I made a start on the wooden version of the cab today.

First lets cut the wood. I don’t have fancy saws or CNC machinery, so here’s a little trick I use to get dead straight cuts using only basic tools. This technique works for any carpentry, not just speaker cabs. I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but this is how I do it:-

I first do a rough cut with a circular saw that’s 2-5mm away from the pencil line:-

Then I use a Router with a bit that has a roller guide like this:-

I grab an unused, uncut piece of ply which has a perfect cut from the factory aka the “maker’s edge”. I place the makers edge over the pencil line as perfectly as possible, then clamp the two pieces of wood together like this:-

Flip the whole thing over so the piece your cutting is on top and the piece with the makers edge is on the bottom. Then use the router to cut away the timber to the pencil line. The rolling guide on the router bit will trace along the perfect maker’s edge like this:-

This will replicate the makers edge perfectly. In fact, it’s a mistake-proof way of cutting straight because the roller along the edge makes it practically impossible to cut more than you were supposed to, or to cut a line which isn’t perfectly straight…. Assuming you clamped everything down correctly in the first place and you’ve plunged your router down to the correct height so the roller actually makes contact with the makers edge.

Each panel on a cab should have an identical panel opposite i.e
• the top panel should be identical to the bottom panel,
• the front baffle is identical in shape and size to the back panel, and
• the side panel has an identical opposing side panel.
So I tend to cut one top panel, one side panel, and one front baffle, then use the same router bit with the roller-guide to make an exact replica of it. Nowadays I don’t even bother measuring or marking pencil lines for the opposing panels. I just line it all up, clamp it, then cut with the router.

I've cut all 6 panels and done a test fit to make sure I haven't mucked it up. So far so good.

With all 6 panels cut to six I thought I'd throw them on the scales and see how my estimate of wood weight is going. I estimated 8kg of wood previously. This lot weighs 7.5kg and I haven't cut away the timber for the speaker hole yet. Looks like I'm going to be about 1kg lighter than I first thought so I'm revising my estimated final weight down to 12kg.... maybe :)

Hopefully more tomorrow.

LimeB

Post by LimeB » 11 Mar 2010, 14:16

Excellent tip re makers edge/ router thanks.
Gonna try it.

thebman

Post by thebman » 11 Mar 2010, 19:49

I'm like an annoying apprentice....What type of ply is that Pete?
Have you gone for 12mm or 18mm thickness?
Questions, Questions, Questions.

mkat

Post by mkat » 11 Mar 2010, 22:53

Pete, that's great work so far. Nothing wrong with that gigantic straight edge, we use all sorts of jigs to get things done. :D
Michael
http://mklutherie.com

int main(void) {return 0;} /* no bugs, lean, portable & scalable... */