Sealing the Ports on a Cab?

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
weemac

Re: Sealing the Ports on a Cab?

Post by weemac » 16 Oct 2018, 05:50

The Tight Ar$e is a hpf. The second version that is adjustable is great.
My Daughter uses one when running small amps in folk sessions to protect the amp and to limit boom.
It also gives the bass a very present sound without becoming overbearing..
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I woz the chap behind Polymack Basses....

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 16 Oct 2018, 07:05

weemac wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 05:50
The Tight Ar$e is a hpf. The second version that is adjustable is great.
My Daughter uses one when running small amps in folk sessions to protect the amp and to limit boom.
It also gives the bass a very present sound without becoming overbearing..
Cool; thanks for that mate. Might see if I can trawl one up; sounds like a handy thing to have on board regardless.
:yep :thumbup:
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.
AMPS: Acoustic; Ashdown; Ampeg; Eden; Epifani; Markbass

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 16 Oct 2018, 11:30

Bill Fitzmaurice wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 01:03
Paisley wrote:
16 Oct 2018, 00:24
even with the low band of the EQ, I was unable to tame the offending frequencies without killing the bottom end altogether.
When the problem is boom don't assume that it's sourced in the first octave. Chances are it's in the second octave, so rather than pulling down at, say, 50Hz, trying pulling down at 100Hz.
This! Try them one at a time, give your ears 10 or 20 seconds to adjust to the change. Eq can work miracles if you know how to use it.

The Tight Arse is a passive HPF. I notice there's an active F-Deck variable HPF available on one of the Aussie FB sites for $80.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 17 Oct 2018, 13:28

NotTheFish wrote:
15 Oct 2018, 21:39
The tight Arse is a different beast. It is a HIGH pass filter. Without looking it up I would guess it has a steep rolloff of say 12bd per octave below 30hz. The ParaEq is a parametric Eq with 3 different Frequency widths (Q settings). The narrowest is very narrow which is great for the purpose of hitting a booming note on the head. Lets say you play a Bb and it really booms. Looking up a table I see that is 233hz. You adjust the ParaEq bass control to that freq and cut it with a narrow Q and that boom is gone. That is my understand anyways..
Fixed it... I'm not sure of the specs, but it's a high-pass filter definitely.

Personally, I just use EQ on my zoom and dial out offending lows. I don't need much sonic information below 60Hz or so. It serves me no real purpose other than introducing "boom".
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Kanye West wrote:My greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 18 Oct 2018, 08:21

Thanks for the replies guys.

Bit of an update: I'm now specifically after the Tight Ar$e-2 with the variable control; from what I've read I believe the 1st version is fixed at 30Hz (someone correct me if I'm wrong), & I've just discovered that my Eden WT-550 appears to already have a 30Hz HPF built in! 8/

That F-Deck does look nice (if I didn't already have a couple of nice Preamps for my Upright, I'd nab it just for that); however I don't necessarily need something inline the whole time. Despite being ported, my Epifani UL-1 Cab is fairly sensible with its bottom end (one of the reasons I went with the UL-1, as I've traditionally preferred sealed Cabs), so I don't actually strike this bottom end issue all the time; although admittedly it is becoming a bit more common.
With something like the little passive Cave, I can just have it rattling around in my leads case until I need it & throw it inline when necessary.
:yep
BASSES: Spector; Fender; Yamaha; G&L; Alembic; Ibanez; Jerry Jones; Danelectro; Rickenbacker; Ergo; ESP; Kraken; DeArmond.

Bill Fitzmaurice

Post by Bill Fitzmaurice » 18 Oct 2018, 11:55

Most bass amps have built in high pass of one type or another. Amp designers are aware that not only are hi-fi specs not needed, they're unwanted.

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 18 Oct 2018, 13:36

Paisley

Post by Paisley » 21 Oct 2018, 22:59

Thanks again for the replies everyone; looks like I'm sorted for a Tight Ar$e now. Will give that a crack & see how it goes.
:thumbup: