Pedalboard for amp-less gigs... GO!

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
pipsqeek

Pedalboard for amp-less gigs... GO!

Post by pipsqeek » 12 Sep 2018, 19:24

My entire career, I've played with bass amps. Beginning of next month I'll be performing some big shows with no amp and no on-stage monitoring. Just in ears.

I've played with in-ears, but there's usually some live sound bouncing around so you can still feel the music and not hear the singer stepping around on stage. LOL.

Anyway, this gig has made me reassess my pedalboard choices since I also usually run without much effects, if any at all.

So, without the obligatory "Sans Amp" pedal post. What do you bassists who play sans.... amp.... (pun intended), and perhaps even to the extreme, perform on a silent stage do, have done and won't do again?

My setup I have come up with now is as follows.

Jazz Bass >> EBS Drive >> EHX Bass Big Muff Pi >> Digitech Bass Synth >> EBS Envelope Filter >> TC Electronic Spectra-Comp >> Sans Amp (duh).

This set up is working perfectly for what I need it to do for this specific situation. But it's a new experiment for me building this board, so I'm always looking at what others have done.
Facebook - For the latest gigs
Instagram - For what I'm cooking in the kitchen and the pedal workshop
Twitter - a mix of all of the above

Famous quote - "Just press record and leave the camera alone until I'm standing next to you again." - Stef

Petebass

Re: Pedalboard for amp-less gigs... GO!

Post by Petebass » 13 Sep 2018, 06:42

A must for me whenever I use In-Ears is a separate eq. You'll want to be able to eq your instrument in your ears without it affecting the sound going out front. Get that right and the sky is the limit!
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 13 Sep 2018, 09:12

This is my main board I use at IEM gigs, or gigs where I'm using a powered speaker.

I have my VT Bass deluxe set up to what I think sounds best in the FOH, the DI goes to the board. The 1/4" out from the VT goes to the Boss GEB-7, and that allows me to change volume to my rig/ears without effecting the FOH signal. Up until recently, I've been using a 4 channel mixer to feed my IEM.

I've had various IEM set ups over the years, at one stage I had a stereo 15 channel eq racked with my IEM so I could really dial in. Really good for removing the mid range from guitars that seem to fatigue your ears over a gig, or get the high hat to cut thru a bit more. I've even tried an eq in the side chain of the compressor I had racked with my IEM. Good for limiting the screeches of female vocalists with poor mic technique.

The pic above was a mono set up. One half of the eq was in the side chain of the compressor, the other side was to eq post compressor to my IEM. Worked pretty well.

If your band is using a digital Behringer desk, you can use a P16-M personal monitor mixer, which gives you a 16 channel stereo mix, eq for each channel, and a pretty good adjustable limiter.

If I don't need effects, I sometimes use this board. The Fairfield is great for getting that tube like tone, and the M81 has a pre/post switch so I can eq my bad tube separately to what the board is getting.
Last edited by Rocksolid on 13 Sep 2018, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 13 Sep 2018, 10:44

I've substituted my amp for a Radial Tonebone before - It was bloody awesome!

I hear the Bassbone OD is epic as well..
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

Sandberg VS4, 57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, AG TH500, Bassman 115 Pro, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Sep 2018, 13:34

I've just finished doing this very thing for my blues band where I play slide gt and bass (boss OC-3 on Poly). We're playing small gigs with no fold back though. Kinda different.

One comment though, I figured out a while back that what a clean tube amp does is light compression as well as reverb often. I've just bought a smallish mixer with both those effects and with a speaker emulator/EQ pedal it's all sounding pretty good. :)

BTW, hanging with another bass player today and talking about hifi bass sounds and IEMs. There's a discussion there related to this for sure.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

pipsqeek

Post by pipsqeek » 24 Sep 2018, 17:44

Thank you for everyone's suggestions.

I've got some options for a board now and will perhaps post the pic for this particular next project I am working on.

The EQ pedal for my own In-Ears won't be necessary, as I will have my own control supplied by the venues/backline/production that I will be performing in.

I rehearsed with the band, sans production last week and things went well directly into the PA. I was pulling a good tone with the pedals I have set up, and believe it or not, I found my old Joyo Dr. J bass pre-amp DI box I bought years ago in an emergency for a gig. It was cheap, but it surprised the crap out of everyone at that gig, and at rehearsals last week.

Got a few second hand boards I'm hunting around for now. Will post photos soon. Thanks everyone for suggestions and advice.
Facebook - For the latest gigs
Instagram - For what I'm cooking in the kitchen and the pedal workshop
Twitter - a mix of all of the above

Famous quote - "Just press record and leave the camera alone until I'm standing next to you again." - Stef