B-Amp Stack

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
lepparda

B-Amp Stack

Post by lepparda » 03 Sep 2018, 16:23

I tried out this set-up (B-Amp/HD210x2) at a gig at The Bridge in Sydney last Friday and was very pleased with the result. I put a VT Bass pedal in front and that was all, using the built in compressor in the amp with a little O/D. Highly recommended and more than capable of handling a bigger venue (as George said it would).

Imagefullsizeoutput_10d6 by Adrian Leppard, on Flickr
Fender Jazz. Fender Precision. Musicman Stingray. Aguilar. Bergantino. MXR. Tech 21. Darkglass. Ampeg.

Rocksolid

Re: B-Amp Stack

Post by Rocksolid » 03 Sep 2018, 19:45

Nice one. They are great amps. Struggle to leave my Super Bassman home and take the B|Amp, but when I do, it doesn't disappoint. Haven't actually run pedals in front of mine yet because it's such a complete package.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: Jungle Jooce, Coke 'N' Nuts, Crossfire Hurricane

lepparda

Post by lepparda » 03 Sep 2018, 21:26

Rocksolid wrote:
03 Sep 2018, 19:45
Nice one. They are great amps. Struggle to leave my Super Bassman home and take the B|Amp, but when I do, it doesn't disappoint. Haven't actually run pedals in front of mine yet because it's such a complete package.
Funnily enough I was going to use the DB751 and changed to the B-Amp at the last minute.
Fender Jazz. Fender Precision. Musicman Stingray. Aguilar. Bergantino. MXR. Tech 21. Darkglass. Ampeg.

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 04 Sep 2018, 09:05

How is the compressor in these? I'm looking at moving away from my pedal board/Quilter setup and these are on the radar...

cackland

Post by cackland » 04 Sep 2018, 09:18

bassmaniac69 wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 09:05
How is the compressor in these? I'm looking at moving away from my pedal board/Quilter setup and these are on the radar...
Compressor with the new firmware runs in parallel so you can blend as little or as much as you like. Very Natural sounding and transparent - I use very little compression so maybe others might be better placed to comment on extreme settings.
This pic was at the Adelaide Ent Centre, so big stage and the AE312 setup was excellent.

MTD 535, Brubaker KXB Extreme 5, Lakland 5594, Sadowsky Metro MS5, Stingray 5, Yamaha TRB6P (For Sale), West Fretless 5, Fender RW J, NS WAV4
Bergantino B|Amp,
Bergantino AE212, AE112

lepparda

Post by lepparda » 04 Sep 2018, 09:29

bassmaniac69 wrote:
Good enough to not use the MXR M87 one on the board on Friday if that answers your question. I am one or two steps away from no pedals at all as of course it also has a built in tuner and O/D. Still like the VT Bass in front for a bit of warmth/fatness/tube but perhaps in a couple of firmware updates that will go too. Oh and used an MXR Phase 90 on one song.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 04 Sep 2018, 10:06

bassmaniac69 wrote:
That's a tough call. I have the B|Amp and the BB800, and they are both awesome. If the B|Amp had the power section of the BB800 it would be pretty close to the perfect Amp I reckon. B|Amp's comp is good, but I really like having my Empress Comp in front of me to see what's happening, easy to adjust on the fly and easy to switch on and off also.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 04 Sep 2018, 15:15

Rocksolid wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 10:06
bassmaniac69 wrote:
That's a tough call. I have the B|Amp and the BB800, and they are both awesome. If the B|Amp had the power section of the BB800 it would be pretty close to the perfect Amp I reckon. B|Amp's comp is good, but I really like having my Empress Comp in front of me to see what's happening, easy to adjust on the fly and easy to switch on and off also.
The only thing about the BB800 is the f&*king DI out being master level controlled, hence me having to run a DI in front of the amp (Sansamp Bass Driver). I'm assuming the BAmp is not this was inclined?

And is the power section not on par with the BB800 Steve?

bassmaniac69

Post by bassmaniac69 » 04 Sep 2018, 15:17

lepparda wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 09:29
bassmaniac69 wrote:
Good enough to not use the MXR M87 one on the board on Friday if that answers your question. I am one or two steps away from no pedals at all as of course it also has a built in tuner and O/D. Still like the VT Bass in front for a bit of warmth/fatness/tube but perhaps in a couple of firmware updates that will go too. Oh and used an MXR Phase 90 on one song.
That's the comp that I have, and it's great but it's only lightly used TBH! I'm also moving away from pedals for the moment, slightly over lugging a huge board. I have the Boss MS3 that I'm not using one 10th of it's features so it's time to go..

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 04 Sep 2018, 15:40

bassmaniac69 wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 15:15
Rocksolid wrote:
bassmaniac69 wrote:
The only thing about the BB800 is the f&*king DI out being master level controlled, hence me having to run a DI in front of the amp (Sansamp Bass Driver). I'm assuming the BAmp is not this was inclined?

No, the B|Amp DI can be configured in the extended menu. Iirc.
Master volume on mine doesn't affect the DI at all.
Comp is very nice, tho I'm not an experienced comp user.
I like simple ones, which the B|Amp's is, and have owned a couple of good ones, but using all tube amps mainly, I've never required em.
I DO use the one on my B|Amp regularly tho
Mean & Surly

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 04 Sep 2018, 16:34

bassmaniac69 wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 15:15
Rocksolid wrote:
bassmaniac69 wrote:

Yeah the DI of the BB800 is a frustration. How often do you change your volume mid set, and by how much? A Bass driver is massive overkill if you just want a DI that is pre master. I'd just be running a Radial Stagebug SB-2 or something that is compact and doesn't need power.

There is nothing wrong with the B|Amps power section - it is an ICE Module the same as most other D class Amps I believe, and it sounds very very good. Using the OD (a small amount) and a clean blend on the B|Amp you can get a very tubey break up on the front of the note, very similar to what I get from my Fairfield Modele B that I often run in front of the Quilter. The girth that you get from the Quilter BB800 is pretty amazing though - the most tube like D class amp I've heard. I didn't think it was possible for a D class to have that much Heft. It could be the 2 stage limiter Pat Quilter designed into it, I'm not sure. They are both great Amps that are very different. I just think those elements of both Amps combined would be damn near perfect.

lepparda

Post by lepparda » 04 Sep 2018, 16:47

Rocksolid wrote:

The girth that you get from the Quilter BB800 is pretty amazing though - the most tube like D class amp I've heard. I didn't think it was possible for a D class to have that much Heft. It could be the 2 stage limiter Pat Quilter designed into it, I'm not sure.
More tubey than a TH500?

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 04 Sep 2018, 18:15

lepparda wrote:
04 Sep 2018, 16:47
Rocksolid wrote:

The girth that you get from the Quilter BB800 is pretty amazing though - the most tube like D class amp I've heard. I didn't think it was possible for a D class to have that much Heft. It could be the 2 stage limiter Pat Quilter designed into it, I'm not sure.
More tubey than a TH500?
I sometimes run a THDI into the front of the Quilter actually. Never played the TH500 itself. I'm really talking about the girth of every note more so than the tone if that makes sense. THDI certainly has a tube tone about it.

Pretty sure someone will have compared the TH500 to the BB800 somewhere on TB in one of the quilter threads.

jimmy_effected

Post by jimmy_effected » 20 Oct 2018, 11:47

If someone's looking to sell their Quilter Bass Block 800, I may be keen. Looking to switch it out for my B|Amp....

lepparda

Post by lepparda » 21 Oct 2018, 11:45

Sounds good with the Ampeg SCR-DI upfront.

Imagefullsizeoutput_114c by Adrian Leppard, on Flickr