NBD Squier Fretless P

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
BazzBass

NBD Squier Fretless P

Post by BazzBass » 14 Aug 2019, 14:58

went in to Derros today for a drum stool. Went to bass shop first looking for a Squier fretless jazz,the one without the PG. They showed one in stock though on display was only a fretless P. Dude went to store 'room' (shipping container) and came back after 20 minutes to apologise but someone made a booboo and it was only the fretless P in stock. The boss told him to give it to me for $400 for making me wait so long. RRP is $799.
Happy score.

PS do people prefer rounds or flats with fretless basses? I bought a set of Chromes 45-100 to put on her
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs, Yamaha DTX drums
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P,J&J Fretless,Hofner B Bass,Mike Dirnt P, SX J
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Rocksolid

Re: NBD Squier Fretless P

Post by Rocksolid » 14 Aug 2019, 15:12

Nice one! Didn't think they had one either.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: No 2 ways, Night Fever Bee Gees Tribute, Coke 'N' Nuts

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 14 Aug 2019, 15:31

I think I prefer P basses at the moment, and I can put this neck on my mim jazz if needs be
Loud things: Trace Elliot Elf and 10" cabs ,Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs, Yamaha DTX drums
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P,J&J Fretless,Hofner B Bass,Mike Dirnt P, SX J

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 14 Aug 2019, 15:55

Nice! I prefer the sound of nickel rounds so you get a bit more definition and mwah, otherwise why play fretless y’know? Looking at you Tony Franklin...
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 14 Aug 2019, 17:12

narcdor wrote:
14 Aug 2019, 15:55
Nice! I prefer the sound of nickel rounds so you get a bit more definition and mwah, otherwise why play fretless y’know? Looking at you Tony Franklin...
thanks, exactly what I wanted to know, the mwah factor. I'll leave the stock rounds on til they die .

Wrenn

Post by Wrenn » 14 Aug 2019, 17:13

I like the sound of Stainless Steel roundwounds on fretless :)
Band: PLATFORM http://www.facebook.com/PlatformBandSydney
Bass: LEJ 5/24, MTD Kingston KZ 5-String Fretless

noplanb

Post by noplanb » 14 Aug 2019, 21:13

You could try lowering your action - increases the depth of the woody-buzz quality. You get this instead of fret-buzz! Bonus for fretless basses. If you go really low, you may find the zzz-mwah too much, - I tame mine with less treble sometimes - and that's with flats!
I see..............basses!

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 14 Aug 2019, 21:26

Perfect setup for me is mwah near the neck and clean near the pickup so you can choose by where you pluck. I can’t get enough from flats no matter what I do so use nickel rounds as they are softer than steels. Also no bending strings naughty naughty learn to rock up and down the string length, very hard for me to get used to anyway.
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 15 Aug 2019, 14:21

the A and D strings bottom out past the 15th fret, ie the string is on the fretboard from there onwards. Raised the saddles as much as I wanted to, fixed it a bit, the neck is flat. Not sure whether to give it more relief or take it back to the shop for them to do it.

Rickles

Post by Rickles » 15 Aug 2019, 16:51

Ave a go ya mug. :yep In this instance, especially if you feel you might get someone else to do it anyway, give it a shot yourself. If it's still no good, it'll cost you the same to have someone else take a shot.

I'm no expert, but if it's bottoming out that high up, it wont need much relief. As far as I know, a flat neck is what you want on a fretless. A bit of relief and then adjust the saddles and you should be jake.

As a side note, do you know what your radius is? Adjust the saddles accordingly.
Melbourne
75 P Bass, Warwick Standard Corvette, SWR MoBass, Markbass, BAmp, CN212, HD210, SWR 210.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 15 Aug 2019, 17:03

cheers mate, yeah I just loosened the truss rod, will try it again after dinner.Rang the shop, he said it definitely needs at least a whole turn, and if I couldn't get it how I want to take it in for a free setup.
Rickles wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 16:51
As a side note, do you know what your radius is? Adjust the saddles accordingly.
yes I matched the radius by eye, the saddles were flat beforehand.

Rickles

Post by Rickles » 15 Aug 2019, 18:14

Woot. Free setup. :partydance:

Good stuff Bazz. Just go slow. A whole turn seems excessive. I usually do a quarter of a turn at a time. Being up at the 15th fret it really shouldn't need much. Plus it'll need time to settle in. Have another dinner mate. :lol:

If raising those two saddles was all it needed then leave it alone. Too late huh? Doesn't matter. Sometimes the truss rod needs a turn, just to make sure it isn't slack from the get go straight out of the shop. Congratulations on the great deal. I'll be sure to bookmark this post, to refer to, if you ever decide to sell. That should curb your enthusiasm for posting financial details in the future. :lol: I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years to come, and I'll have long lost this data by then. Yeah, fergedaboudit.

Get your Pino on. Sounds a bit rude. Get your Jaco on. Ahhh, forgedaboudit.
Melbourne
75 P Bass, Warwick Standard Corvette, SWR MoBass, Markbass, BAmp, CN212, HD210, SWR 210.

Rocksolid

Post by Rocksolid » 15 Aug 2019, 18:24

Careful Bazz, this is where it all started with me. Easy does it.
Gear:Fender I Quilter I Berg I Tech 21 I Zoom l Line 6 I Aguilar I Broughton l sfx l EQD l SD I TCE l MIPRO I 1964ears

Basses: Fender I Gibson I Musicman I Warmoth l Squier I Aria Pro II

Bands: No 2 ways, Night Fever Bee Gees Tribute, Coke 'N' Nuts

basshack

Post by basshack » 15 Aug 2019, 23:07

Rocksolid wrote:
15 Aug 2019, 18:24
Careful Bazz, this is where it all started with me. Easy does it.
Ah yes but he is loosening the truss rod and letting the strings bow the neck a bit to get clearance. Your problem was in the other direction.

Bazz: If you take all the tension off and you still can't get the relief you need something else is wrong. I'm not concerned about the "whole turn" thing, just give the neck time to relax in-between adjustments and say do 1/4 turn each night and see where it goes. You don't really want to go too far and have to pull it back. Sneak up on a good set up.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 16 Aug 2019, 02:02

+1 to advice above.

Nickel rounds for that sweet tone. Bright Stainless too zingy on Fretless IME.
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - Bergantino