Peter Gifford (Giffo) Midnight Oil

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
the-flat-earth

Peter Gifford (Giffo) Midnight Oil

Post by the-flat-earth » 11 Dec 2017, 22:00

Ok peeps. This one may have already been covered, but after the recent hugely successful Midnight Oil world tour, let's put the spotlight back on the band and one of it's members. I didn't see the latest tour, but I did see the Red Sails (mind-blowing), Species Deceases (too loud) and Redneck Wonderland (one off show) tours. The meaning behind "one off" show was that Paul Hester filled in for Rob Hirst (in Adelaide). Great to hear such positive reviews of the 2017 tour worldwide, and to see them back on stage. A new album fella's ???????

Anyway....I've been listening back to the albums and DVD's, and I have to tip my hat to Peter Gifford (Giffo) ! He had everything.....great edge and power to his playing, massive P-Bass sound, great voice and played Chapman Stick and Upright bass as well. No offence to Bones, he is a great player/wonderful singer, but the band lost a lot of it's drive once Giffo left to start up the very successful bikini company "Wicked Weasel". He was the perfect foil for Rob's masterful, dynamic drumming.

What a band ! Giffo......wherever you are.......thanks for inspiring us with your inventive/expressive playing :)

Your thoughts fellow low enders :)

aphekgreg

Re: Peter Gifford (Giffo) Midnight Oil

Post by aphekgreg » 11 Dec 2017, 22:27

I heard he used to record with an Ibanez Musician. Played an old Precision live of course.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 11 Dec 2017, 23:17

I played in a Midnight Oil tribute band. Giffo's bass lines REALLY rocked!!! Power and the Passion, US Forces, Best of Both worlds, Kosciusko, Beds are Burning, etc.

I used a P bass black/black/rosewood that looked exactly like his. Played Sadowsky Stainless Flats 40-100 (detuned a semitone) with heavy gauge picks and smashed the crap out of those strings!! The guitarist named that bass 'The Freight Train'.

Fun times!!
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

Snoopygore71

Post by Snoopygore71 » 12 Dec 2017, 08:34

Bones was rumoured to be unable to play Stand In Line, great finger exercise that one whether played with fingers or pick.
Nordstrand, Sadowsky, Musicman, Ibanez, Aguilar, Bergantino, Mono, Source Audio and various and sundry. And all the stuff I sold I miss - Dingwall, Fender, R Bass, Bossa, SWR, Lecompte, LEJ, TecAmp

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 12 Dec 2017, 09:10

I think Stand In Line was actually the creation of their 1st bassist (Giffo was their 2nd). Though Giffo plays it well.
One concert I would go to if I could go back in time is the Oils On The Water (Goat island) in Jan 86 I think.
You can see it all on Youtube. The band was at the peak of its powers. The sound is great and Giffo is playing his P bass through a SVT which sound fantastic. Once Giffo left the band I have't liked a single track they have made since.

WestOfBen

Post by WestOfBen » 12 Dec 2017, 10:27

All over this thread like I wish I was all over Peter's P bass that is in the RnR Hall Of Fame. A work colleague took a picture of it and sent to me. I asked her to "borrow it" if she had the chance!

I drive around the countryside for work. My favourite Midnight Oil albums get regular rotation: 10..1, Red Sails..., Place without a postcard, and only a little less often Diesel and Dust. I must rip Oils On The Water to the phone... that was killer.

Totally agree regarding Bones. Great player and a great fit for the band. For me it is Giffo all the way. Giffo and Hirst. Cookies and cream, maybe Prunes and Custard.

Peter is one of the first players I started learning (late 90s) and I have to admit I think most of my love for driving songs with solid urgent lines comes from Giffo. "The Freight Train" is so appropriate. His work taught me to palm-mute, among other things. I have never used flats, so I have to compromise. Listening to those albums from the time dad got the vinyls (still got them too!) it all seeped into my playing.

But did Peter use flats?!? Listening back to my faves, I hear a MusicMan in there, maybe that was the Ibanez? Either way, at times I think I hear the sound of flats, at other times definitely not flats. Unless I just don't know what Chromes or bright flats can sound like?

Side-question about the Oils On The Water DVD - the second disc contains a gig they did at a theatre. As a young player I started learning that too, but noticed it is recorded/mixed poorly and is like half a step up in pitch. Anyone else notice this? As a result I don't watch that one.

The other thing is Jim and Martin's guitar work. Martin on the Ric 12 through a Marshall, like John Scott of TMOC. There's something about that Ric/Marshall combo.
Rickenbacker 4003JG, Epiphone Ripper, Marina P/J fretless, Tanglewood ABG, 1960s Rose Music Tempo SS semi-hollow bass, an acoustic guitar, GK 700RB-II, SWR Henry 8x8, some pedals
My band is called Ascribe!

bigswifty

Post by bigswifty » 12 Dec 2017, 11:40

NotTheFish wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 09:10
Once Giffo left the band I have't liked a single track they have made since.
Same for me pretty much. Also agree that the Goat Island thing was about as good as it could get.
Mike
I'm a mean offloading machine!

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 12 Dec 2017, 18:12

I agree as well in reflection. The best stuff finished around the same time as he left. Coincidence maybe... but still it says something.
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

Gobi

Post by Gobi » 18 Dec 2017, 11:24

How good is Giffo.... P Bass sounds so fat on the Goat Island show. On parts he just plays one long note for a whole bar and it sound huge, but going back to eighth notes sounds great and all in context. Very dynamic, seems like he got total control of the sound. And how messed up is the paint or lack of paint on that P bass?
Wikipedia says he's sold the Bikini company, I wonder what that means he's up to now??
I saw the 10...9...8.... show in '84 I think it was. Hordern Pavilion , I caught the train down from Lismore with mates from school. So cool.
Jim Moginie said when they got new bass players, they crumple up their shirt and lower the bass strap, don't know if that applied to Giffo or not?
I bought Bones' White 64 Jazz Bass in 1994, he wanted to play a Status or something. The Jazz is a great instrument, it's a slap machine with big strong original pick ups
Last edited by Gobi on 19 Dec 2017, 10:32, edited 1 time in total.
I like to play the Bass

Gobi

Post by Gobi » 18 Dec 2017, 11:52

What's up with that funny selector switch on Giffo's bass?
I like to play the Bass

Snoopygore71

Post by Snoopygore71 » 18 Dec 2017, 13:21

NotTheFish wrote:
12 Dec 2017, 09:10
I think Stand In Line was actually the creation of their 1st bassist (Giffo was their 2nd). Though Giffo plays it well.
One concert I would go to if I could go back in time is the Oils On The Water (Goat island) in Jan 86 I think.
You can see it all on Youtube. The band was at the peak of its powers. The sound is great and Giffo is playing his P bass through a SVT which sound fantastic. Once Giffo left the band I have't liked a single track they have made since.
It's more Giffo made the bassline his own, Andrew James was the first I recall.
Nordstrand, Sadowsky, Musicman, Ibanez, Aguilar, Bergantino, Mono, Source Audio and various and sundry. And all the stuff I sold I miss - Dingwall, Fender, R Bass, Bossa, SWR, Lecompte, LEJ, TecAmp

Rumbler

Post by Rumbler » 20 Dec 2017, 05:27

Gobi wrote:
18 Dec 2017, 11:24
How good is Giffo.... P Bass sounds so fat on the Goat Island show. On parts he just plays one long note for a whole bar and it sound huge, but going back to eighth notes sounds great and all in context. Very dynamic, seems like he got total control of the sound. And how messed up is the paint or lack of paint on that P bass?
Wikipedia says he's sold the Bikini company, I wonder what that means he's up to now??
I saw the 10...9...8.... show in '84 I think it was. Hordern Pavilion , I caught the train down from Lismore with mates from school. So cool.
Jim Moginie said when they got new bass players, they crumple up their shirt and lower the bass strap, don't know if that applied to Giffo or not?
I bought Bones' White 64 Jazz Bass in 1994, he wanted to play a Status or something. The Jazz is a great instrument, it's a slap machine with big strong original pick ups
And that would have been from the Bassplayer in Annandale right? I was managing at the time, and I remember Bones bringing it in. Great purchase mate.. I wanted that thing so badly. Great great bass. :)

Gobi

Post by Gobi » 20 Dec 2017, 13:43

Yes thats right Rumbler.They had it in a glass case... oooohh .
I'd just got a good publishing cheque and I was keen to spend it. Much better to buy that bass than blow it on the obvious booze etc. I only got to meet Bones a fair bit later, and was trying to tease him about selling it, that didn't work really. I'd be interested if he had anything else to say when he was in the Bass Player shop? Specially about the bass itself?
I like to play the Bass