Question: Wal Bass

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
NotTheFish

Re: Question: Wal Bass

Post by NotTheFish » 28 Nov 2017, 11:13

Bassick wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 08:43
I owned a Wal MK2 for about 2 years and for me, it just didn't feel like a high-end enough. It is a heavy bass, but aside from that, the neck profiling wasn't as refined as that of an MTD 534. It's definitely a good bass, has it's own unique tone, but I wouldn't pay that price again for them. Subjectively speaking, I would say they feel like a $3-4k bass, and it does feel severely overpriced. But hey, everyone has their own opinions.
Price seems to be a common theme with all your posts so far on this forum. You seem to be on a mission to drive down the prices of all basses. Good luck with that.

Bassick

Post by Bassick » 28 Nov 2017, 11:19

Just my honest opinion. These days people seem to get triggered by everything and no one's allowed to have the freedom of speech lol

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 28 Nov 2017, 12:12

Once you get to a certain point, you usually pay a lot more for a slight increase in quality. It's very rare that a $5000 bass is 10 times better than a $500 one. The question becomes, what it's worth to you? If the Wal sound is your thing, then there really isn't any other way to get it. The question becomes, am I prepared to pay that much for my ideal tone? The answer will be different for everybody.

We sometimes forget how cheap guitars/basses are compared to other instruments. We can spend under $1000 on an instrument that is good enough for professional work. Not sure what high end recorders cost, but other than harmonicas, I can't think of any other instrument that's even close to being so inexpensive.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

Bassick

Post by Bassick » 28 Nov 2017, 12:42

aphekgreg wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 12:12
Once you get to a certain point, you usually pay a lot more for a slight increase in quality. It's very rare that a $5000 bass is 10 times better than a $500 one. The question becomes, what it's worth to you? If the Wal sound is your thing, then there really isn't any other way to get it. The question becomes, am I prepared to pay that much for my ideal tone? The answer will be different for everybody.

We sometimes forget how cheap guitars/basses are compared to other instruments. We can spend under $1000 on an instrument that is good enough for professional work. Not sure what high end recorders cost, but other than harmonicas, I can't think of any other instrument that's even close to being so inexpensive.
Well said man. Yeah, thats why I said it was a completely subjective point of view and that its my own opinion, not fact. Wal Bass wasnt my thing obviously, but the MTD 534 was. So yeah..

jezzamac

Post by jezzamac » 28 Nov 2017, 15:41

Welcome Bassick!
Fender '78 Precision, Squier CV Jazz, Maton JBIV, Ibanez SR405, G&L Tribute SB2, Ashbory and Markbass CMD121P, Fender Rumble V# 12" cab, GK 400RB, No-name 4x10 cab
funKtus, Samurai Trash, Exploding Happiness, Night Radio (no longer).

Bassick

Post by Bassick » 28 Nov 2017, 16:49

jezzamac wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 15:41
Welcome Bassick!
Hello!

sic608

Post by sic608 » 28 Nov 2017, 20:14

aphekgreg wrote:
28 Nov 2017, 12:12

Haha it's funny this is exactly what we were talking about at the gtg Greg.

We discussed the difference between the cheaper dingwall ng2 compared too the high end Z3.

An ng2 is in the realm of $2500 and a z2 I was quoted in the vicinity of $8000 - $9000
We looked over each model and what Greg said guys the nail on the head. He put it there isn't necessarily $6000+ improvements or gear quality between them in anyway.

But perhaps if you need something very particular be it sound, neck, looks what have you, then thats up too you. And if you want them done by a certain builder then the market dictates the price.

Interesting conversation

By the way I was happy with my decision on a Wal :)
Einstein was onced asked, "How does it feel to be the smartest man alive?" To which he repiled, "I dont know, you'll have to ask Nikola Tesla"

NotTheFish

Post by NotTheFish » 28 Nov 2017, 21:22

I would have loved to have gone to the GTG just to play your WAL sic one. Greg did some nice work on my Schecter PJ that was WAL inspired. He wound some of his fantastic pickups and installed the ACG EQ01 filter based preamp into it. Now it is a really nice bass. Not really that WAL like in tone but having such control over each pickup is a really powerful tone shaping tool. Anyways, to anyone who is looking for a poor mans version of a WAL, I reckon a G&L L2000 modded with an EQ01 pre would get you some of the way there.