NBD

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists
StinkyPete

NBD

Post by StinkyPete » 01 Sep 2017, 21:15

At the start of this year I had the thought of getting a birth year bass (1969) and also had a hankering for a Fender SCP Precision, well the realisation came pretty quick that an original was just not going to happen, for a gigging bass anyway, so I decided a couple of months ago to commission another Warmoth build and had fingers crossed this one wasn't going to be an endless money pit like my last Warmoth attempt.

After a month or two of looking at what I liked and disliked as far as hardware and features go I started the ordering process and the key features of this build were

Slab Ash body
Slim taper Maple neck, jazz width and graphite reinforced rods
Lindy Fralin split pup 5% over wound for stronger mids
Better string retainer to include A string
Relic'd to look and feel like an original '69 or there about and fingers crossed sound great.

All parts were purchased new and I spoke with Cam Rees from Custom Guitar Works to do the job as he's done a paint job for me in the past (and now I live withing walking distance) so he was confident that after I'd shown him a couple of pic's of '69 P's I liked and the fact I wanted it to look and feel like the best pair of old worn jeans that you will never part with.

I'd seen the body just painted with a gloss look and just started the ageing process a couple of weeks back when dropping the neck in to him, I had my doubt's about how it was going to look as the body back then was very shiny and the grain popped out too much.

Tonight he called to say it's ready to pick up and this is the end result:

First off is the pic I showed him to reference

This is the body, Ash 4.9 lbs

The finished product

I know relicing is not everyone's cup of tea but the end result is exactly what I had imagined and 100% to what I'd hoped for but never really expected as they never turn out how you hope, this time it did.
The biggest bonus is I got home and plugged it in and OH BOY this this sounds sooo different to the MIJ '51 RI I had a couple of years ago, this sounds huge with punch like no tomorrow but very tight and controllable at the same time, strung it with Fender flats 45 - 105 and there is a really nice growl attack to each note, it feels like I've played this bass forever and it's well and truly exceeded my wildest dreams.
Neck is finished in satin poly vintage tint (from Warmoth) and relic'd at CGW.
Body finished in butterscotch nitro (Custom Guitar Works).
All hardware new and relic'd at CGW.
Basses: Fender P, Warmoth '69 SCP.
Amps: Traynor YBA200, Fender TB600, GB STM600
Cabs: Fender Rumble 410 V3, Eden EX112

narcdor

Re: NBD

Post by narcdor » 01 Sep 2017, 21:25

Mmmmm butterscotch... delicious
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

aphekgreg

Post by aphekgreg » 01 Sep 2017, 21:28

That's one of the nicest relic jobs I've seen Pete. Looks quite natural and authentic, where so many are over done.
Greg

Ibanez Musician, MusicMan, Dingwall Z3, Rickenbacker, MIJ Fender Precision & Jazz, Warmoth/Musikraft P/J-bass, Danelectro Longhorn.
Traynor YBA300, MarkBass, GK1001RB2, Berg AE212, Hartke 4.5, '64 Fender Bassman
http://www.aphekstudio.com.au

BOSS302BASS

Post by BOSS302BASS » 02 Sep 2017, 01:10

Wow! Looks fabulous. Congratulations Pete.

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 02 Sep 2017, 07:59

Thanks guys, I was up till midnight playing it quietly in the study.

Greg, I liked the amount of relic too as it wasn't over done IMO, the finger board ware marks are in the Saturn tint finish only and the neck edges rolled, it just feels so comfy to play and I'd probably compare it to the '83 Fender Fullerton AVRI '57 P I owned for weight, balance and comfort except the neck profile is more to my liking, equally the lightest & best balanced bass I've owned (on the strap) although I haven't weighed it yet.

Edit: 3.9 kg on the scales but feels much lighter on the strap.
Last edited by StinkyPete on 02 Sep 2017, 16:21, edited 1 time in total.

veebass

Post by veebass » 02 Sep 2017, 14:06

Very nice. :cool:
Very glad you are pleased with it.
Good to see no damn tummy routs!
You did chicken out on the joys of the two saddle bridge though. :lol:
Last edited by veebass on 02 Sep 2017, 15:12, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 02 Sep 2017, 15:03

Nice job!

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Ibanez
Rig: Fender Bassman 500 and Neo 410

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 02 Sep 2017, 16:17

veebass wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 14:06

Yep, I wasn't keen on staying true in replicating everything and I actually liked the vintage thread saddles I ended up with as I've had them in the past and find them very usable.
The idea behind the build was to have a vintage looking SCP with a few more modern touches to make it more playable for me, the Fralin split single 5% o/w for example sounds so perfectly balanced between low/mid/highs and zero hum, I haven't run it through the YBA200 / 2 x 115's yet and that'll be next weekend which will be the true test of how it sounds but so far it feels and sounds every bit as good as my VM5 as far as quality goes, if I'd ordered this through Nash or Sanberg or another custom bass builder and this was the end result I'd be 100% stoked, the fact it was basically a parts bass through Warmoth has me even more excited as this Warmoth build is a success unlike my jazz build a few years back where everything apart from the neck plate and screws got swapped out over time and I still wasn't happy with the result + thousands of $ down the drain.

veebass

Post by veebass » 02 Sep 2017, 17:04

StinkyPete wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 16:17
veebass wrote:
02 Sep 2017, 14:06

Yep, I wasn't keen on staying true in replicating everything and I actually liked the vintage thread saddles I ended up with as I've had them in the past and find them very usable.
The idea behind the build was to have a vintage looking SCP with a few more modern touches to make it more playable for me, the Fralin split single 5% o/w for example sounds so perfectly balanced between low/mid/highs and zero hum, I haven't run it through the YBA200 / 2 x 115's yet and that'll be next weekend which will be the true test of how it sounds but so far it feels and sounds every bit as good as my VM5 as far as quality goes, if I'd ordered this through Nash or Sanberg or another custom bass builder and this was the end result I'd be 100% stoked, the fact it was basically a parts bass through Warmoth has me even more excited as this Warmoth build is a success unlike my jazz build a few years back where everything apart from the neck plate and screws got swapped out over time and I still wasn't happy with the result + thousands of $ down the drain.
It's great when a plan comes together. It will sound the goods through your big rig.
The Fralin is one of the pickups I didn't go through on my search for the right one for my 69 Tele, but it was probably next, if I hadn't turned up an original pickup.

You also won't regret going the way you did with the input. I used a metal Les Paul plate to mount mine- I hate the recessed Telecaster arrangement.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 02 Sep 2017, 17:59

Looks terrific :cool: :thumbup:
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"If you keep buying things you DON'T need, eventually you'll have to start selling things you DO need"

hamo

Post by hamo » 04 Sep 2017, 13:16

Nice one
Sadowsky MV4-HPJ | Lakland USA Duck Dunn #13 | Fender TB600 | Genz Benz STM900 | Berg AE212 | Eden XLT210

rodl2005

Post by rodl2005 » 04 Sep 2017, 14:12

Wow!! Congrats, very nice indeed!!
Mean & Surly

PilbaraBass

Post by PilbaraBass » 04 Sep 2017, 15:12

First off... I'm going to say that the buckle rash relic on the back looks a little too regular and artificial...
Just make sure you wear a real buckle when you play it to get it looking a bit more authentic (never thought I'd be recommending that to anyone... lol)

But the rest is AMAZING!!!

For me, it's feel first, sound 2nd and looks 3rd... and you have all 3... nice hat trick!
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F, '15 Ibanez SR605
Yeah, I'm gonna take my horse to the old town road...
No ... I'm not really ... that would be dumb

Fatso

Post by Fatso » 04 Sep 2017, 19:31

Very nice bass! What did you different which made this build a success?

StinkyPete

Post by StinkyPete » 04 Sep 2017, 21:54

PilbaraBass wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 15:12
First off... I'm going to say that the buckle rash relic on the back looks a little too regular and artificial...
Just make sure you wear a real buckle when you play it to get it looking a bit more authentic (never thought I'd be recommending that to anyone... lol)
I totally agree Kerry, the buckle rash looks over done and is probably the only part of the bass I feel :/ about, I do wear a belt buckle (R.M. Williams Longhorn) though and do get natural buckle rash on my other basses so it should wear more naturally over time.
Fatso wrote:
04 Sep 2017, 19:31
Very nice bass! What did you different which made this build a success?
The truth of it is I think the main issue with my last Warmoth jazz was it never sounded like what I was chasing in my head, I wanted a jazz bass but probably had a ballsy P sound in my head I was trying to achieve subconsciously.
That jazz started out heavy as well so I was trying to rectify two issues by throwing endless cash at it but never felt satisfied enough with the results.

The other factor is I think this time around knowing exactly what I wanted to achieve, choosing a lighter body and the exact neck profile I've come to like in a 4 string, getting it relic'd especially the neck with rolled edges has made it so comfortable to hold/play.
I also feel pot luck played a big part in that the combination of neck/body/pickup/strings/bridge has worked well together, I mean if you ordered a bass build from a reputable builder like Nash, Sandberg or countless others they would have the bass there in the workshop to play and if the neck or some part of the bass was a dud and affected the overall playability or tone they would rectify the issue or even replace the offending part to give you a great playing/sounding end product. You are pretty guaranteed of that.
Ordering the body and neck weeks apart from Warmoth is pot luck same as ordering a good quality neck and body from Ebay, you don't know how the 2 will gel with each other until you put it together here and bad luck if they don't compliment each other, so with this particular bass I feel I got lucky as if feels and sounds as good as something I'd expect from a high end custom order.