Slowlearner's rolling cavalcade of luthiery horrors

Building, Modding, Setup and Repair
basshack

Re: Slowlearner's rolling cavalcade of luthiery horrors

Post by basshack » 13 Feb 2019, 22:37

Snug fit, tool removal with maybe some wadding like a felt cover?
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 14 Feb 2019, 21:47

Day off today, so between watching Clint Eastwood and baking I got a little more done.

I also traced out the outlines on the top and back and started to cutting out the top. My wife stopped me coz the band saw was a little loud. Probably a good thing too, coz I notice this.

The laminate on the front of the panel is given to tearing out. I guess this means I'll need to be pretty careful with machining the end grain. A little disappointing because I was hoping to use a roundover bit for the edges. This is going to need a lot of sanding instead I reckon.
Bassline "I'm not arguing.... I'm just explaining why I'm right."
My Band - https://www.facebook.com/PBT-1914426202220972/

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 16 Feb 2019, 16:52

Had a few hours in the shed today. Started by marking out the top and back and again. This time by applying masking tape to the top so I could cut it shiny side up.

Then I hit the bandsaw and cut them out. Then, sanding, sanding, sanding...

I've been concerned about how well the timber was going to machine. So I used a scrap to test the roundover. Seems to work ok, with just a little tear-out when I'm going against the grain.

Then it was time to make up some blocks. I had a piece of Kauri Pine, but that's not hard enough for screw inserts or the end-block. So I went through my offcut box. By some sort of miracle, I had exactly the bit I needed. It's a neck offcut of Victorian Ash. Onto the table saw and voila!

My son came out and told me I had a delivery. Yay! On a Saturday! Extra Yay! Truss-rod day! The truss rods were individually wrapped like this. It's a wonder I could even get them out of the packaging.

Which brings me to the plan for the truss-rod. What I'm thinking of doing is putting another metal rod behind the rod. I can use the second rod to push the first one out.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 05 Mar 2019, 16:18

No doubt you've all been breathing a sigh of relief with me being off the air for 2 weeks now, right? Nope, I have some more horrors to show you.

I was playing the (ridiculous) three planks 6 string fretless on Sunday night at church. Having a whale of a time, because the bass is nearly that big. Seriously though, it's the first real outing it's had since I built it beyond a jazz jam. I was really enjoying it. I mean totally. Love the tape wounds and the sounds I was getting through the church amp (Ampeg pf500 and Aggie quad). Then I noticed this... :cry

It's hard to express how sad/ticked/prophetic I feel about it, because it's exactly what I was afraid off. Basically the windings on the top part of the C string are just coming undone... and of course, my friend (I say that loosely) Jason from bassstringsonline failed to supply other sets of strings he had promised for a year... and then promised again. I should blame myself partly too for building something so big that La Bella has (according to Jason) stopped making that length of tapewounds. Grrr… :banghead:

I've posted the pic on La Bella's FB page asking for help, but I'm not hoping for much. It might also say something about my design, but then the grubscrew thing on many headless basses has less contact area, so I think not. :hmm

What I'm not afraid of doing is some sort of superglue type 'dodge'. Coz let's face it, I have nothing to loose at this point where the tapewounds are concerned. I could order some Kalium roundwounds, but it does sound sooo sweet with the tapes. Course my last fretless sounded even more amazing with rounds, but even that involves special order and bulk $$$ thanks to currency. But I digress. Ideas? :popcorn:

On other fronts, the correct router bits for the truss rod turned up yesterday. If work will just slow down long enough for me to focus on basses again, I'll get something done. That's the way the world should work. Right? :shrug:

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 07 Mar 2019, 17:07

Back to the bench on my day off. I finally managed to get the trussrod slot routed after the bits turned up the other day.

However, I had few hangers on in the form of double sided tape, specifically the foam type.

I've literally never had this issue before. I put it down to the router guide being taped onto the neck for nearly two weeks while router bits turned up. I've taped and removed the guide from neck blanks a dozen times before. The trick I know now is ALWAYS do it on the same day. Anyhow, I managed to remove the tape easily enough from the neck with a scraper and some metho to get rid of the glue. The aluminium guide was a slightly tougher proposition. Until I remembered brake cleaner. The stuff is ah-mazing. Just don't weld on it or it turns into phosgene (WW1 nerve gas) and tries to kills you. Seriously. That adventure over, it was time to trim the fingerboard down and build a clamp monster.

You can't see it from the pic, but I held it in place with toothpicks along the sides. Cheap insurance. Then I pulled the template for the top and back and started on the end block and neck blocks.

The bit of timber above is 130yo spruce piano soundboard bracing I'm using for bracing under the top. It's over kill in the size it's currently in. I probably need to cut it down a little yet. Still not sure what to do with that. In other news, I'm thinking of making the back screw on instead of glued.

P.s. I didn't bother with a removable truss rod in the end. I hope I don't live to regret that, but I doubt it on medium scale instrument.

DeadlyErnest

Post by DeadlyErnest » 07 Mar 2019, 21:00

I thought that was going to be a centreboard for a sailing dinghy.
Will play for food.

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 09 Mar 2019, 13:24

Well, got word back from La Bella today. They don't make the strings anymore. Sad. Ticked. I guess it will have to cop some Kalium round wounds after all. Unless I can think of a better solution. Hmm...

SneakyJak

Post by SneakyJak » 11 Mar 2019, 22:28

slowlearner wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 13:24
Well, got word back from La Bella today. They don't make the strings anymore. Sad. Ticked. I guess it will have to cop some Kalium round wounds after all. Unless I can think of a better solution. Hmm...
That is a bIt sad, never really used their strings but still

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 12 Mar 2019, 06:59

Ok, so now things get weird. Jason (now running fret nation), sends me an email having heard about the bung C string and offers me a replacement. Do I want the string? TOTALLY. Do I trust him to deliver? Hmmm, not really. I feel like I'm being reeled in, again. Dunno quite what to do. :shrug:

He also says he has the other strings, that I always wanted. What to do? :help

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Mar 2019, 09:13

Well since they're out of production I say give it a shot, he seems to want to make things right, and you can only remain disappointed in the service level you have received. Also without giving a chance to remedy when offered it would be pretty rich to continue bagging the new site, I don't have the full history between you two but that's how it seems to me as an outsider. If you go into it with low expectations you won't be let down?
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 12 Mar 2019, 09:46

narcdor wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 09:13
Well since they're out of production I say give it a shot, he seems to want to make things right, and you can only remain disappointed in the service level you have received. Also without giving a chance to remedy when offered it would be pretty rich to continue bagging the new site, I don't have the full history between you two but that's how it seems to me as an outsider. If you go into it with low expectations you won't be let down?
Yeah, well I guess I am in the business of second chances, so why not a fifth or sixth chance. What I'm trying not to do is be a complete mug. But then to be fair, he didn't actually take my cash and not deliver, he just didn't deliver.

Hmmm, pondering. :hmm

Edit; just emailed him. Hoping for the best. :red face

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 12 Mar 2019, 11:59

I've got my fingers crossed for you!
Strings: Fender, Narcdor, Framus, MusicMan
Knobs: Aguilar, MarkBass
Cones: Barefaced, Baer
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 13 Mar 2019, 12:39

So, I ordered the strings (and a replacement C string). Money gone. Strings promised. Let's hope it all works out this time. :shrug:

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 14 Mar 2019, 16:13

Day off again and back to the shed. Started prepping the top for gluing the neck and heal block to it.

Which was about when I realised I'd shaped the WRONG piece of timber for the heal block. Honestly, I'm such a dufus… :red face

FIXED! Having done that, I wanted to add some more timber to the neck block.

Time for some headstock shaping.

Then I snapped the bandsaw blade! Snapped right on the weld, as per usual. However, the new blade was a revelation, so maybe I need to order another one. Like a hot knife through butta. :thumbup:

Headstock is now 99% shaped beyond a few little bits of tearout I need to fix. Seems the spruce I used for the back is pretty easy torn out. Oh well. :rolleyes

slowlearner

Post by slowlearner » 18 Mar 2019, 21:34

After a bit of premature sanding, I started marking out for frets tonight. Then I started prematurely marking out for 23.5" scale instead of 32.5". Geez, what a bonehead. :red face

Getting a little chilly here, so I put my warm shoes on. :thumbup:

Started cutting fret slots. I was sorely tempted to stop here, coz let's face it. Everything above the 4th fret is just icing and smarty pants playing, right? :shrug:

About fret 7 or 9, I had a horror moment where I thought I'd cut a slot quite crooked. Measured half the board panicking. The ruler said everything was ok, but my eyes didn't. In the end, I realized the masking tape was crooked. Again, geez what a bonehead.

I ended up finishing the rest of the neck with this offcut as a guide instead of the Jarrah offcut. 130yo European Spruce. That's a tonewood, so surely the bass is gonna sound AMAZING. Well, the icing and smartypants notes anyway. Geez, what a bonehead. :peep: