Rant Thread !

Sit Back and Relax, Non-Bass Related Chat
veebass

Re: Rant Thread !

Post by veebass » 10 Jul 2018, 09:31

Aussie Mark wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 08:42
I start a new job in August, which I'm really happy about given I've been in my current job for 10 years - definitely time for a change. Not so much a rant, but a heads up for any of the older members here who are contemplating a job change - I've actually been applying for jobs and interviewing since August 2016 so it's been a long journey to nail the right job. It's been very time consuming and hard work while trying to remain professional in my current job. Nobody where I worked knew that I was looking, until the last minute when I reached out to someone to be a referee, so keeping this secret to myself while juggling interviews and fielding phones calls at random times from recruiters was pretty stressful for an extended period of time.

I kept a spreadsheet over those 2 years, which shows I applied (or was approached by a headhunter) for 180 different jobs, and got to an interview stage 20 times. Of those 180 applications, on 71 occasions there was no contact all all about my application to let me know I had been unsuccessful.

This is not a rant, more of a general information post, given I'm looking forward to my new job :-)
Congratulations.
Happiness is .......a Telebass and 500W.

packrat

Post by packrat » 10 Jul 2018, 10:27

Aussie Mark wrote:
I start a new job in August, which I'm really happy about given I've been in my current job for 10 years - definitely time for a change. Not so much a rant, but a heads up for any of the older members here who are contemplating a job change - I've actually been applying for jobs and interviewing since August 2016 so it's been a long journey to nail the right job. It's been very time consuming and hard work while trying to remain professional in my current job. Nobody where I worked knew that I was looking, until the last minute when I reached out to someone to be a referee, so keeping this secret to myself while juggling interviews and fielding phones calls at random times from recruiters was pretty stressful for an extended period of time.
I find it's super helpful to get a cheap long-life prepaid SIM and put it in not-my-primary phone so that recruiter contact can be appropriately siloed. For Real-estate hunting also.

basshack

Post by basshack » 10 Jul 2018, 10:44

Congratulations Mark.

Still looking for my next employer, been officially since Feb but on really started looking in April. Got a couple of things in the fire but the length of the process from application to interview is frustrating.

You're right about recruiters, I follow up job advertisements with a phone call and then the actual client, if I can get the name, funny thing when they tell you they are not using a recruiter.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 10 Jul 2018, 11:20

packrat wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 10:27
Aussie Mark wrote:
I find it's super helpful to get a cheap long-life prepaid SIM and put it in not-my-primary phone so that recruiter contact can be appropriately siloed. For Real-estate hunting also.
I wish I had setup a whole new identity for real estate hunting, email phone name address everything.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 10 Jul 2018, 11:29

10 years - tell me you didn't miss out on your long service?
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 10 Jul 2018, 13:11

GOOD LUCK Mark !

I started a warehouse storeman delivery driver job knowing that I had a Telstra job coming up as I aced their entrance exam. So....on my second day I had to pull a sickie to go to a Telstra errr Telecom job interview. On my second day hehe. Stayed there for 24 1/2 years. Sheesh murderers make parole before then
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Aussie Mark

Post by Aussie Mark » 10 Jul 2018, 14:21

Petebass wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 11:29
10 years and 2 months ... so I get my long service paid out. And my annual bonus as well, so the timing is perfect.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive | Bonza | The Vinyl Beats

Basses: Nash, Fender, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Ibanez
Rig: Fender, Ampeg, PJB

Endorsing artist: Fender; Cave Passive Pedals

narcdor

Post by narcdor » 10 Jul 2018, 14:31

Aussie Mark wrote:
10 Jul 2018, 14:21
Petebass wrote:
10 years and 2 months ... so I get my long service paid out. And my annual bonus as well, so the timing is perfect.
Nice! Congrats on the move and hope it all goes swimmingly.
Strings: Fender, Framus, Warwick, Custom
Knobs: Mesa, MarkBass, Fender
Patch: TC Electronic, Aguilar, too many to list

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 10 Jul 2018, 14:38

Aussie Mark wrote:

and THAT is why you're a bassist :) :drinkingbuddies:
Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts

Petebass

Post by Petebass » 10 Jul 2018, 18:06

Aussie Mark wrote:
Petebass wrote:
Paid out? Rich bloke like you will just chuck it on he pile or blow it on more basses. Give me 3 months off any day :)

But seriously, congrats and I hope everything works out the way you hoped it would.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ibanez SR805, Ashbory, + more...
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites http://www.ozbassforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546

BassLine

Post by BassLine » 10 Jul 2018, 19:26

Congratulations Mark. Hope you get a chance to have a holiday at some point. :drinkingbuddies:
Oz Bass Forum Moderator

Basses: Fender - Rob Allen - Tobias - Duesenberg
Rigs: Jule Amps - AER - GK - Bergantino - Baer

RedVee

Post by RedVee » 10 Jul 2018, 21:47

Congrats Mark
Ibanez AEB10-BK; Feider P Bass; Challenge Bass; T'Bird Goth; Gibson T’Bird
Fender Rumble 15; Eminar Amps x2; Elfa 410 cab; GK CX115 cab; Zoom B2.1u & B3

FunkyJase

Post by FunkyJase » 16 Jul 2018, 13:14

Parking fines and venues that reside in heavy traffic areas policed by sneaky, vulturistic, shit-gibbons who don't even need to get out of their car to book you for parking in front of a venue long enough to get your gear out.
May their colourful, sugar-glazed donuts increase their girth making them unattractive to their preferred sexual partners and may their coffee fall into their lap as they speed off to avoid appeal...

Phockers...
"If only you could have seen what I've seen with your eyes"
Roy Batty

57RI P Bass, Fretless PJ Bass, Frankenbass PJ, Fender Jazz Am Deluxe & 75' Fender Jazz Rip Off.

Markbass Big Bang, GK MB500, GB NeoX 212T, Eden EX112, Lab Sys 212

basshack

Post by basshack » 16 Jul 2018, 14:49

FunkyJase wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 13:14
Parking fines and venues that reside in heavy traffic areas policed by sneaky, vulturistic, shit-gibbons who don't even need to get out of their car to book you for parking in front of a venue long enough to get your gear out.
May their colourful, sugar-glazed donuts increase their girth making them unattractive to their preferred sexual partners and may their coffee fall into their lap as they speed off to avoid appeal...

Phockers...
Just a little bit upset there I read.
><((((º> ·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... ><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·... >((((º>

Classic5

Post by Classic5 » 16 Jul 2018, 14:56

FunkyJase wrote:
16 Jul 2018, 13:14

Phockers...
That sucks. It's just wrong.
IB-Classic#001, Xotic XJ-1T 5,Yamaha BB1024X
Glockenklang Blue Soul, Glockenklang Double, TecAmp Puma 112 Combo
"Money will buy a fine dog but only kindness will make him wag his tail"