aby splitter pedal

Amps, Cabs, Effects, Pickups, Onboard Preamps
youngbill

aby splitter pedal

Post by youngbill » 20 Jul 2018, 17:15

Greetings.

I'm looking at an aby pedal, any advice is appreciated, unless it is to practice more.....

I'm in a fairly quiet drummerless trio with acoustic & electric guitars.

We're using a bose pa whose name escapes me. It's got a tiny sub & tall column of 5 or 6cm drivers which sounds really nice. So much so that the electric player is going without an amp and has great tone just through the pa. What else? Oh yes, we were finished loading out & driving home 12 minutes after the end of the last song. :yep Count em - twelve.

So the plan was to put the bass through the pa and go without a bass amp. So in the spirit of new band camraderie I duly surrendered my manhood & gave it a go. I was stunned how good it sounded in rehearsal.

Unfortunately it proved a bit hard to hear live (for me) on stage so we're looking at a mix of the pa & an amp. I think it should work really well, last couple of gigs I was able to find a sweet spot of rounded swirling girth from the sub & some straight ahead thump from the amp.

The issue will be sending enough but not too much signal to the sub, so I'm thinking an aby box with an output control on at least one output is the go. The boss LS2 will do it with more features than I'll ever need. any other suggestions?

Thanks

BigDaddy

Re: aby splitter pedal

Post by BigDaddy » 20 Jul 2018, 17:42

Dont you get the same outcome from your DI to the mixer going to the PA (sub)? Use the mixer to 'blend' together with your stage sound.
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

youngbill

Post by youngbill » 20 Jul 2018, 21:04

Woops.

I neglected to mention the bass signal is going directly to the sub/pa amp via an auxiliary input which looks to be designed for linking another of these bose systems together or for some other external signal. This signal does not go through the mixer & there are no spare channels to run the bass through. Thus we don't have an actual volume control for the bass signal, only a gain control.

The input only has a trim/gain pot, so I'm hoping to attenuate the bass signal as required before it reaches this input. Running this input too high has given a distorted signal so it looks like using this as the volume control may be impractical. I'm also guessing the system is designed to run this input at unity/12 o'clock for the cleanest signal as is standard with mixer design. This seems to work ok so adjusting to the desired volume via another pot before this input is probably the go.

I've run the signal from a line out on the amp but the amp has no level control for the line out, so the sub volume is controlled by the master volume the amp is running which we've discovered is undesirable as well.

Thanks for the reply.

BigDaddy

Post by BigDaddy » 20 Jul 2018, 21:14

Tricky one - does the mixer have any unused line inputs (eg stereo channel....not a mic pre)? If yes, you could run an external pre into one input - at least you would have a fader and good control over your mix.
Basses: Sandberg, Fender, SUB & Squier
Amps & Cabs: Ashdown, Ampeg, Tecamp & Aguilar

youngbill

Post by youngbill » 21 Jul 2018, 12:45

There are no other inputs available.

BazzBass

Post by BazzBass » 21 Jul 2018, 13:24

youngbill wrote:
21 Jul 2018, 12:45
There are no other inputs available.

Buy the $89 5 channel mixer from JB HiFi :)

Loud things: Markbass LittleMark 250, Hartke HA2500 amps, Hartke XL210 cabs
Pretty things: Fender MIA P, MIM P and J, SX J, Takamine ABG
Bands: Los Mescalitos , Distorted Tarts