Hofner bass

Electric, Acoustic, Double Bass, Bassists

Hofner bass

Postby brooksi » 06 Jun 2009, 20:46

has anyone tried them,as my daughter wants to get me one for my birthday. 8/ And she is in the UK at this time ,and found one in the local music shop.So has anyone had much to do with them.All i could find, was this on youtube. :angry:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qqu7zFd3 ... re=related
thanks in advance
james
Dream as if you'll live forever, live like you'll die today.
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.
brooksi

Re: Hofner bass

Postby Bass People » 06 Jun 2009, 22:33

These are hugely underrated basses. They have a really distinctive, warm sound with fast decay.
Bass People

Postby robert43 » 06 Jun 2009, 23:23

Think early Beetles . PM used it because it was 1 all he could afford & 2 he could turn it up sidedown & it would be about the same PM was a lefty
"A kiss ia an application on the top floor for a job in the basement " Brian Johnson
robert43

Postby Bass People » 07 Jun 2009, 00:05

Not just early Beatles - he's still using it.
Bass People

Postby rusty » 07 Jun 2009, 12:43

Iused a hofner as one of my first basses, they are great basses, very underated & have that "he used it" stigma associated with them. A hell of alot of studio's have them in their arsenals also. Put some nice flats on it & your in warmth heaven!
Cheers
Rusty
rusty

Postby Petebass » 07 Jun 2009, 15:12

+1 with what everyone has said so far, plus I can add that they are extremely lightweight. I suppose you'd expect that from a hollow body, but even still most people are surprised by it when they first pick them up. They're not the sort of bass you'd buy if your were a slapper - very full and warm with a narrow string spacing that makes them very easy to play. Hang it up on the wall when you're not playing it - they look beautiful!!

I learned to play on one of these. It was loaned to me by a family friend when I was a beginner, and unfortunately I had to give it back eventually. I'm ashamed to admit now that I was too young and dumb to appreciate it for what it was at the time.
* 2 Stingray 5's (one heavily modded), Ashbory, Alembic loaded SX Jazz
* Carvin B1500, Epifani PS1000, Ashdown Superfly amps.
* Lots of DIY neo/lightweight cabs including one made from composites viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2546
Petebass

Postby brooksi » 07 Jun 2009, 20:03

Thanks guys, will let her know.And see what happens :yep :yep
Powered by Pals, Motivated by Mates.
brooksi

Postby SpankyAndy » 09 Jun 2009, 17:49

Hi brooksi,

+1 on everything everyone has said.

I have never played a genuine German-made Hofner 5001, but on the June long weekend I finally got to try a Chinese license made Hofner Icon "BB" (Beatles Bass) bass, while visiting my son in Port Macquarie.

I have long been curious to try a Hofner of any description, and had read good things specifically about the Icon series basses. While the Icon BB doesn't have quite the same tonal range, quality fittings or the classic German Hofner pickups, I was still really surprised and impressed by the tone, playability and overall quality of the instrument.

In fact, I was so impressed, I couldn't put the bass down, and had to reluctantly leave the store to track my girlfriend down at the shops to see if I could get the nod to buy it. Fortunately, wiser heads than mine prevailed (I'm currently paying off 2 x Spector basses and 1 x Gibson SG bass) and I had to leave the instrument at the store, but it has given me the desire to save for a genuine German Hofner.

I don't know if anyone is currently distributing the German instruments here, but they'd be a very expensive if you picked one up new. 2nd hand they tend to be in the AU$2500 - $3000.00 range, depending on the motivation level of the seller (I let a beauty slip through my hands recently - the seller wanted AU$2400.00). If you can get one overseas, then do so - I'm pretty darned sure you will not regret it.

Alternatively, you can pick up a Chinese Hofner for around AU$650 including HSC. Considering that a Chinese Eastwood hollowboy would cost you more than twice that if you imported one, then they are exceptional value for such an iconic instrument.

Cheers

Andy
Canberra
SpankyAndy

Postby joel » 10 Jun 2009, 16:21

Hey guys

We currently have 3 German hofners in stock. Check the links for a little more info.
The prices we have them at are very good compared to what the new retail prices are.
I love the feel of these instruments, such a classic sound and they sound so beautiful recorded.

62 Re issue - http://basspeople.cart.net.au/details/2231277.html
63 re issue - http://basspeople.cart.net.au/details/2231278.html
Club bass - http://basspeople.cart.net.au/details/2231279.html

Its also interesting to note that alot of hip hop/RNB/ soul- neo soul is recorded with one of these but it makes perfect sense. Alicia Keys latest album has one all over it.

JB
joel

Postby SpankyAndy » 10 Jun 2009, 18:10

Hi Joel,

Great to know you have these beauties in stock, how long have you had these particular instruments in the store? I'm not quite sure I understand what the differences are between the 62 and 63 reissue... must be subtle. Did you ever have any of the Cavern model - ie the one with two pickups close together by the neck?

It's a shame these things are so dear down here...

Cheers

Andy
SpankyAndy

Postby brooksi » 10 Jun 2009, 18:54

I think, she is looking at the hofner contemporary series. :?: At around 500 pounds , :eyebrow: is it a good buy :?: