Craig Young-Nashville session bass player

Boutique bass guitar effects pedals that require no battery or power supply. Includes multi-channel boosters and drivers in a compact, aluminium casing with D.I. output.

Craig Young-Nashville session bass player

Postby Cave Passive Pedals » 03 Mar 2012, 18:14

Hi Guys

Thought you'd like to hear some of Craig Young's comments about his Super Grunt...

"...Hey gang,

So sorry it's taken this long to reply, but it's been nuts around here since the Grammys. Thx so much for everything. Seriously.. I use the SuperGrunt everyday. It's just part of my sound now. Absolutely love it!!! Makes my cleanest amp sound like an svt at the perfect breaking point, or on stun if need be. Please let me know if there's anything I can ever do for you cats. Can't wait to see the new goodies you geniuses are workin' up. I'm sure it's way dope. Holla!

Much love to all!!
Craig..."

"...I know Mark well enough to expect pretty good things out of this pedal after hearing him speak fondly of it, but I had no idea it was going to become my favorite pedal, and probably a component that remains in line and switched on for just about everything I do. It sounds more like an amp than the vtbass pedal by a long shot. Not only that, but it sounds like an amp that sounds better than an Ampeg. Homerun on this one guys!!!

Working with Faith Hill's producer and band today, and every single player was asking about it. Jerry Macpherson (legendary session guitarist) used it on a guitar track as well. Wow. Totally blown away!!

Thanks so much guys,
Craig Young..."

AND JUST IN CASE YOU GUYS THOUGHT WE WERE BEING RUDE IN ANY WAY BY LETTING THESE EMAILS GO PUBLIC...

"...Absolutely u may use anything I ever send you, and DO NOT HESITATE to ask anything of me that could help you guys get the word out on this fantastic gear. Honestly, I was hoping it would be good, 'cause I can tell u are top notch / fantastic humans (so rare, and personally deeply inspiring) and I really want to help your company grow into whatever your ultimate vision is. So it was a total relief when the pedal turned out to be, not only "decent", but in fact "**** amazing!!". Now With a totally clear conscious I can go about being a human megaphone for your brand / gear, and that makes me very happy indeed. You are really on to something wonderful here. I am brutally honest, and would have very kindly said "thanks, but it ain't my bag." and sent it back to you if it was at all sub par, or even just ok. but... After using it all day, You couldn't get this thing away from me. It's a sound u simply can not get elsewhere. Not even close. What can I do to help???? I'm 100% behind you, and TOTALLY "get it". Great great great job!!!! So proud!! You clearly work your asses off and deserve every good thing u get. Let me know what your needs are and I will earn my keep!..."

We'd like to thank you Craig, for being such a cool musician and friend!
Cave Passive Pedals
Cave Passive Pedals

Re: Craig Young-Nashville session bass player

Postby BassLine » 04 Mar 2012, 11:38

Any chance of somebody posting Craig's playing using this pedal?? (YouTube, or just the names of tracks/albums he's used it on and we can look it up on iTunes). It'd be great to hear the finished product!!
Friendly OBF Moderator.

"There is no amount of equipment that replaces talent and ability... BUT... a good player on a good bass will sound better than a good player on a bad bass."
(quote from TB).
BassLine

Postby Aussie Mark » 04 Mar 2012, 15:09

Off the top of my head I think Craig used it on some tracks on the most recent Lady A album, as well as Peter Frampton's latest album.

Rolling Stoned | The Volts | Doors Alive

Basses: Nash, Musicman, Gibson, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Vox, Framus
Rig: Ampeg, Genz Benz, Fender, Markbass, Traynor, O'Neill

Endorser: Cave Passive Pedals; O'Neill Amplification
Aussie Mark

Postby weemac » 04 Mar 2012, 19:32

Hopefully the Cave virus will spread further!

Emac
Endorser of Cave Passive Pedals (just so you know)
BMR: Blorf My Rig!

Oh! And I'm the chap behind Polymack Basses....
weemac

Postby Fizx » 04 Mar 2012, 22:59

Nice, you guys must be stoked!

Hopefully a sign of more things to come :)
-Caleb
Fizx

Postby Cave Passive Pedals » 05 Mar 2012, 22:23

Hi Fizx

We're sending off some more gizmos to Craig very soon. He's recording his own album (be very interested to hear this one!) and will possibly used the new pedals in recording. So yes, a good sign from a great session player (and one of the nicest "famous" guys we know!).

Cheers
Heath
Cave Passive Pedals

Postby Alec » 05 Mar 2012, 23:07

His Markbass page says he's recorded with Megadeth too!

http://www.markbass.it/artist_detail.php?id=93
Dingwall ABZ5
Alec

Postby Aussie Mark » 23 Mar 2012, 08:47

Aussie Mark wrote:Off the top of my head I think Craig used it on some tracks on the most recent Lady A album, as well as Peter Frampton's latest album.

I asked Craig for some tracks he used the Super Grunt on, and he says -

"Super Grunt is on more tracks than not on current Lady A album (Own The Night) (http://ladyantebellum.com/mp3). Lauren Alaina has a hot track that woulda been impossible if not for the Grunt - http://www.thecraigblog.com/media/lauren.mp3 "

NB. Lauren Alaina was runner up in the latest season of American Idol. That link is to her latest single "Georgia Peaches", which has sold 100,000 copies in the US

Basses: Nash, Musicman, Gibson, Fender, Ampeg, Cataldo, Duesenberg, Greco, Vox, Framus

Aussie Mark

Postby caeman » 25 Mar 2012, 11:31

That right there should be splattered all over Cave's web site as a selling point, and to serve notice to the naysayers that dismiss the passive pedals while never having tried one. Point them to a session pro, that actually used one on two different albums on multiple songs.

THAT is how you answer the critics.
Chad Wilson

Endorsing Artist: Cave Passive Pedals
caeman

Postby PilbaraBass » 25 Mar 2012, 12:38

Aussie Mark wrote:
Aussie Mark wrote:Off the top of my head I think Craig used it on some tracks on the most recent Lady A album, as well as Peter Frampton's latest album.

I asked Craig for some tracks he used the Super Grunt on, and he says -

"Super Grunt is on more tracks than not on current Lady A album (Own The Night) (http://ladyantebellum.com/mp3). Lauren Alaina has a hot track that woulda been impossible if not for the Grunt - http://www.thecraigblog.com/media/lauren.mp3 "

NB. Lauren Alaina was runner up in the latest season of American Idol. That link is to her latest single "Georgia Peaches", which has sold 100,000 copies in the US

That Laurn Alaina track is fantastic. This a fantastic example of how a great overdriven bass sound can work so well in even in the country genre. Also a great example of how a bass can drive a song by being IN the mix as opposed to CUTTING THROUGH the mix.
'98 Carvin AC40, '07 Squier JDAV, '91 P-bass, '96 Ibanez ATK300F

Hillary Clinton wrote:What difference does it make?
PilbaraBass

Postby spencerbasssman » 23 Apr 2012, 21:14

Both of those tracks sound fantastic, a great example of what this pedal can do. And Chad, you have nailed that right on the head. To those who said these pedals don’t work and that they are a con, well just look at where they have ended up, on albums that will be heard right across not only America but internationally as well. Like you said, best way to answer the critics. And Mark is right, the bass is mixed perfectly for these songs and it just works so well and fits like a glove. It points out its versatility, as I have used that same kind of effect from the Cave pedals in a lot of heavier rock/metal mixes and it works great, but to see it in this instance and that it works perfectly for this kind of sound as well is fantastic!
Blessed are the pedal makers!
Caveslave
Endorser: Cave Passive Pedals
spencerbasssman

Postby acmeman » 23 Apr 2012, 21:56

Is the Super Grunt now the Grunt MKII ?
Fender TF, Daion, Upright, Genz Benz & Acme Cabs.
acmeman

Postby Aussie Mark » 24 Apr 2012, 09:48

acmeman wrote:Is the Super Grunt now the Grunt MKII ?

The Super Grunt was a limited edition of 12 pedals (there are still 4 available at on eBay - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/290534202015 ) that featured a toggle to switch between the original Grunt circuit and what is now the B-Drive circuit, plus a tone control.

Aussie Mark

Postby BassLine » 31 Jul 2012, 20:30

Lauren Alaina - Georgia Peaches
Bass uses Cave Pedal (Super Grunt)

Friendly OBF Moderator.

"There is no amount of equipment that replaces talent and ability... BUT... a good player on a good bass will sound better than a good player on a bad bass."
(quote from TB).
BassLine

Postby Z-Bentley » 01 Aug 2012, 20:05

Good Stuff Cave!!
Endorser: Cave Passive Pedals!
Caveslave.
Z-Bentley

Return to Cave Passive Pedals